Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Back to work Day 1

OK sports fans, I am a working man again. Today was a get to know ya kind of day. I read a little, worked with a co-worker for a while, then had lunch. After lunch I filled out some paperwork and went to take a drug test.

I wish I had some funny tale to relate about this, but I don't. I managed to turn the wrong way when I got off the interstate going there, in spite of having a map and directions. This was due to me having made up my mind the street I was looking for was somewhere else. Of course it wasn't; they tend to stay put if you know what I mean.

At the clinic where you pee in a cup I waited for about 45 minutes to get the drug test. Had it been much longer I would not have had any thing to test, because I would have peed my pants waiting for them. At one point I went up to the window and asked the lady if she had forgotten about me. Two or three folks who came in after me were called almost as soon as they arrived and there I sat, holding it and hoping it would be my turn pretty soon.

I did become involved in an interesting conversation with a young mother with a 4 month old boy and a grandmother (not to the 4 month old) who was having problems with her son-in-law.

It seems the son-in-law comes from well to do parents and this lady was just folks, living in a double wide and still working. (She was only 46, so I don't see why she wouldn't be working) The issue was her son-in-laws folks were retired and had money. She saw this as the reason the young couple didn't spend more time with her and her husband. In addition she stated the young man barely spoke to her when they did visit as a couple(a dinner where he uttered 5 words), and controlled how much time her daughter spent with her during her visits with the grandson without him.

She became very emotional during this and even cried. The young mother and I attempted as best we could to console her and advise her. (She asked for my advice after learning I had 5 kids, 13 grandkids and had been step dad to 3 kids.

About the time we were making some progress with her I was called and gladly went to give my deposit and release the ever increasing pressure due to the long wait. (from lunch to 5:30)

When I came back out the grandmother was gone. I spoke to the young mother another couple of minutes about her calm and happy baby and left.

There you have it. I will be taking it one day at a time for some time to come.

The Daily Husband


Dianne said...

one day at a time is a good approach.

Do people just talk to you? all the time? everywhere? I ask because they do to me. Nana said I "had that kind of face". I enjoy it (most times). You can learn a lot from the people you encounter.

Hope Day 2 went well.

I assume the drug test was clean! LOL

Richard said...

Mostly I talk to them. I am not shy and will talk to someone while standing in line rather than stand there like a bump on a log.

Day 2 and 3 and 4 went well. I spent some time in the field with installers for a couple of days and I am very stiff and sore from that adventure.